There were also those around Prince Harry whose details appeared on PalmPilots (digital devices that preceded modern tablets) owned by Mirror reporters, Sherborne said.
Contact details for people such as the current private secretary of King Charles and Harry’s best friend at the time, Guy Pelly, showed PalmPilots of Mirror journalists who were aware of the first cases legally found Mirror Group’s unlawful collection of information.
Sherborne listed several articles found in the past involving unlawful information gathering, such as phone hacking, in previous legal cases.
Turning to the “methods”, Sherborne says that Harry was subjected to the interception of voicemails, the use of several private investigators to obtain information about him and various aspects of his personal life, as well as also “blagging” billing data and other private information.
The acquisition consisted of three periods, said Sherborne, from 1996 to 1999, from 1999 to 2006, and then from 2007 to 2011.
The use of phone hacking was widespread in those years but even then the newspaper admitted only one instruction on illegal information gathering, said Sherborne.
There were no other claims of unlawful activity, Sherborne said.
“What we’re saying is a shocking position considering the findings … that this is routine and widespread across all three newspapers,” he said.
Sherborne says that “even what happened at Sandhurst when he was training in the army” made it into the Mirror newspapers.
“It’s clear stories about Harry’s private life are driving sales,” Sherborne said.
“The articles are the end… these are the ends that justify the means for the defendant (Mirror Group),” Sherborne said.
Sherborne examines several articles by example.
A front page Mirror story about Prince Harry contracting glandular fever, the so-called “kissing disease”, at the age of 17 was presented.
“It drives circulation,” Sherborne said.
Another article about a “private dispute” between Harry and his brother was presented, followed by a page-by-page article entitled “Harry’s girlfriend to dump him” in the Mirror.
“Every part of his life, even the ups and downs of his first serious relationship with Miss Davy (Chelsea Davy), was splashed across the front of the papers,” Sherborne said.
David Sherborne, Prince Harry’s lawyer, today outlined the duke’s claim.
There are at least 30 private investigators employed by the Mirror Group to obtain information about Harry, Sherborne said.
There were 147 newspaper articles submitted to support his claim, which Sherborne said was a “fraction” of the amount of coverage published about Harry in the Mirror titles.
The lawyer representing Mirror Group Newspapers also expressed his disappointment that he did not have enough time to investigate Harry.
Andrew Green KC said he needed at least a day and a half to examine Harry on all aspects of the claim.
“That can’t be done in a day,” he said.
The Honorable Mr Justice Fancourt, who presided over the case, expressed disappointment that Prince Harry would not be giving evidence in person today.
The Duke’s lawyer, David Sherborne, said Harry will attend tomorrow to give evidence and suggested he was delayed because of his daughter’s birthday party. Princess Lilibet of Sussex gave birth yesterday.
“The Duke of Sussex will attend tomorrow to give evidence,” Sherborne said. “He flew in yesterday evening from Los Angeles where he attended his daughter’s birthday.”
Justice Fancourt said he was “a little surprised” to hear the duke would not attend court on Monday.
The judge said he had given directions earlier in the trial that witnesses must be present the day before their evidence is to be heard once the legal opening statements run.
Good morning, welcome to the Guardian’s live coverage of the phone hacking claims against Mirror Group Newspapers at the High Court in London.
Today we will hear claims from the Duke of Sussex, Prince Harry, who at some point – probably tomorrow – will give evidence in person, becoming the first senior royal to be examined in court since the 19th century .
Harry will allege that journalists from the Daily Mirror, Sunday Mirror and People used illegal methods including phone hacking to get stories about him.
Mirror Group Newspapers will try to cast doubt on Harry’s evidence, his credibility and why he waited so long to bring the case.
We understand that Harry’s written witness statement will be read in court today and reviewed by the parties involved.
To kick things off, step up to this state of play with our media editor Jim Waterson: