A disappointment Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege The player who called in a fake emergency at Ubisoft’s Montreal office was sentenced this week to three years of community service, according to The Montreal Gazette. Yanni Ouahioune, 22, was sentenced on Monday in Paris after he called authorities about a fake hostage situation in November 2020.
Police say Ouahioune called the scam because he was upset that he had been banned multiple times. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege. In response to the false call, an armed squad of police officers surrounded the building. Officials secured the headquarters – and closed several nearby streets – before confirming there was no active threat. Ouahioune allegedly called from his parents’ home using Russian servers to hide his identity (unsuccessfully). After being charged, The Press reported (by Polygon) that Ouahioune begged Ubisoft to unban his account. “Can you tell me I’m kindly asking the Ubisoft team to ‘unban’ my account please,” Ouahioune said. “I put over $1,500 in cosmetic enhancements to my profile.”
The sentencing also includes Ouahioune’s alleged role in a DDoS attack against a French government office and making threats against Minecraft developers. The convicted fraudster will reportedly have to “make restitution to the victims, get treatment for a mental health problem and work or undergo training” in addition to community service.
Magali Valence, Ubisoft’s director of external communications for Ubisoft Montreal, said The Montreal Gazette in an email it acknowledged the court’s decision. “In this trial we are committed to representing the interests of our employees who were affected by this false hostage alert at our studio in Montreal. It is important for us to condemn this violent and unacceptable event. Out of respect for our employees affected by this incident, we will not comment further.”