Homeowners insured by Louisiana Citizens will be able to apply for up to $10,000 to repair or replace their roofs in October when the Louisiana Fortify Homes Program (LFHP) opens its first round of grants.
The Louisiana Department of Insurance (LDI) announced that the LFHP will launch at noon on October 2 with 500 grants available on a first-come, first-served basis.
The LFHP currently has enough funds to provide approximately 3,000 grants, LDI said, with the first half of the grants limited to Citizens policyholders. The remaining grants are available to all eligible homeowners across the state.
The grant will go toward the cost of strengthening a roof using methods that meet the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety’s FORTIFIED Roof Standard.
“The best way we can prepare for hurricanes and other severe weather is to use stronger materials and construction methods to build and repair our homes,” said the Louisiana Commissioner. Jim Donelon. “Grant recipients can also take advantage of our new law that requires insurers to offer premium discounts to policyholders with FORTIFIED roofs.”
Homeowners must pay all costs beyond the grant amount. To qualify for a grant, homeowners must meet certain requirements:
- Homeowners are only eligible for their primary residence and must prove they have a homestead exemption on the property during the application process.
- Homeowners must provide proof of an active home insurance policy with wind coverage. If they live in a Special Flood Hazard Area designated by FEMA, they must also provide proof of a flood insurance policy. Contact your agent if you are not sure if you have these coverages.
- New construction homes, condominiums and mobile homes do not qualify.
- Homes on a foundation built on unrestricted stacked masonry or stone (dry-stack foundation) are not eligible without an approved foundation modification.
- Homes must be in good repair as determined by a FORTIFIED™ Evaluator. Homeowners are responsible for paying the evaluation fee, which is usually between $300 and $500.
- Grant funds are paid directly to contractors. Homeowners are financially responsible for all costs above the full amount provided. Grant funding is limited to construction costs.
More information about the program is available at https://www.ldi.la.gov/fortifyhomes
Is this article valuable?
Here are several articles you may enjoy.
The most important insurance news, in your inbox every business day.
Get the trusted insurance industry newsletter