The political movement that promoted slain presidential candidate Fernando Villavicencio nominated an Ecuadorian journalist to fill Villavicencio’s place on the country’s presidential election ticket.
The leaders of the political movement Construye Movement confirmed that Sunday journalist Christian Zurita will run.
The National Electoral Council initially decided that Villavicencio’s running mate, Andrea González, would replace the slain candidate, sparking controversy, according to the Associated Press (AP). González will continue to run for the position of vice president.
“Faced with the lack of clear answers from the CNE and the angry reaction of some political sectors, we will not take risks. Christian Zurita @christianzr will be registered as our presidential candidate,” the Contruye Movement written in Xformerly known as Twitter.
Villavicencio, 59, was shot and killed last week in broad daylight in the nation’s capital of Quito. Villavicencio is one of the eight registered candidates for the presidential election. While he is not leading the race, he is known for his fight against crime and corruption.
Ecuador announced last week that six Colombian men had been arrested for the assassination of the presidential candidate. The men will be detained for at least 30 days pending investigation. If convicted, they face up to 26 years in prison each.
Zurita, 53, appeared for a press conference on Sunday wearing police bulletproof vests with running mate González, AP reported.
Zurita said that they are waiting for a pronouncement from the National Electoral Council about his candidacy, AP reported. The electoral body said that the registration of Zurita and González has not been sent to the institution.
Ecuadorian President Guillermo Lasso dissolved Ecuador’s National Assembly in May using a provision in the 2008 constitution that allows the president to dissolve the legislature in times of political crisis under the condition that new elections be held. made for lawmakers and the president.
Lawmakers challenged Lasso’s decision claiming he dissolved the legislature to avoid his impeachment for alleged crimes against state security and corruption. Ecuador’s Constitutional Court rejected these challenges, allowing the elections to go ahead.
Elections for the new presidential and legislative body are still scheduled for August 20.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or distributed.