Promoter Eddie Hearn said he offered Dillian Whyte a rematch with Anthony Joshua this summer.
On Saturday Joshua, who beat Whyte in 2015, took to social media to say he was not aware of any talks of a rematch.
But Hearn said both men want the fight, and Joshua is also nearing a deal to fight Deontay Wilder in Saudi Arabia in December.
“Our plan, which we’re promoting, is that AJ will box on August 12 and again in December against Deontay,” Hearn said.
Speaking to BBC Sport on Monday, Matchroom Boxing’s Hearn added: “The offer was made to Dillian at the weekend. We’re waiting for his response to that and we’ll talk now.”
In a heated battle, Joshua, 33, knocked out Whyte in the seventh round of their British title fight to avenge a loss to his rival from their amateur days.
Olympic gold medalist Joshua became a two-time world champion, while Whyte, 36, lost his only world title challenge to Briton Tyson Fury in 2022.
“Dillian has a lot of value in the rematch,” said Hearn. “It’s not a fight for Joshua, but a big fight between two world class heavyweights and big British names.
“Negotiations are tough but AJ and Whyte want the fight.”
‘We are delighted to continue with Wilder in December’
According to reports, representatives of Saudi Arabia are looking at hosting Joshua-Wilder and Fury against Oleksandr Usyk in December, possibly on the same night.
Joshua has fought twice in Saudi Arabia. He defeated Andy Ruiz Jr to regain his world titles in 2019 and lost to Usyk in Ukraine in August 2022.
American Wilder is considered one of the hardest punchers in heavyweight history, with 42 knockouts in his 43 wins.
Usyk, who will likely defend his titles against WBA mandatory challenger Daniel Dubois of Poland on August 26, signed a co-promotion deal with Saudi Arabia’s Skill Challenge Entertainment on Saturday, meaning his future fights are likely to happen. in the Middle East.
“Usyk has locked in his half of the deal to sign Tyson Fury in December,” Hearn said.
“The upset is another story but, from our perspective, subject to the final offers and contract, we are happy to go ahead with the Wilder fight in December.”
‘Let’s see what Fury does’
Hearn said he is “still interested in a big fight” between Joshua and Fury – one that has been talked about for a long time – if other fights fall through.
Fury, 34, has not fought since stopping Derek Chisora in the 10th round at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in December.
Earlier this month, Fury said he sent Joshua a contract to fight in September. Hearn said the priority was for Joshua to fight in August and then against Wilder later in the year, but did not rule out a fight with Fury.
“If we can’t do the Whyte and Wilder fights, then we’ll see what happens with Tyson Fury,” Hearn said.
“AJ is very reluctant, as many people are now, to base his short-term future on the possibility that Tyson Fury will actually do what he says he will do.”