Alabama football picked up three commitments on Sunday, highlighted by four-star cornerback Zabien Brown. Here’s what you need to know:
- The Santa Ana, Calif., native chose Alabama over USC and Ohio State. He was the last official visitor in June before the July demise, and that momentum continued and resulted in a commitment.
- Brown, who is listed at 6-foot and 180 pounds, is the No. 7 cornerback in the 2024 class, according to the 247Sports Composite.
- He is the third defensive back commitment in Alabama’s 2024 class, along with five-star Jaylen Mbakwe and four-star Jameer Grimsley.
- In addition to Brown, the Crimson Tide landed 2024 three-star linebacker Justin Okoronkwo from Germany, who decommitted from Maryland on Saturday, and 2026 offensive lineman Zykie Helton from Carrollton, Ga.
The Athleticquick analysis:
What this means for Alabama
Brown’s commitment adds one of the best cornerback hauls in the 2024 class, a significant need for Alabama given attrition during spring practice and expected entries in the 2024 class. Brown comes from the prestigious Mater Dei High School, the same program that Bryce Young did. The program plays one of the most competitive schedules in the country, Brown is a two-year starter for the Monarchs and has been tested against some of the best receivers in high school.
Brown’s highlight tape shows a knack for covering the man, the man and the press; a style that should marry well with new defensive coordinator Kevin Steele. He needs to add strength to be a consistent tackler in the SEC but is good from a technical standpoint and shows good instincts on breaking the ball, as evidenced by his team-leading three interceptions last season.
Second-year cornerbacks coach Travaris Robinson’s 2024 class is filling in nicely after an impressive haul in 2023.
The month of July is expected to be a busy one, and so far Alabama has secured four commitments in the first nine days. Here are some other commitment dates to watch out for:
- Four-star offensive lineman Case Poe, who will be announced on July 12, has a Top 7 that includes Alabama, Auburn, Clemson and Georgia, among others.
- Four-star tight end Caleb Odom, who announced on July 15, is deciding between Alabama, Florida, Miami, Ole Miss and Texas A&M.
- Five-star linebacker Demarcus Riddick is a Georgia commit who made a final decision on July 26, . He is a flip candidate to Alabama or Auburn.
(Image: Michael Wade / Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)